Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I took this photo of Mom just a few days before she died.  Mom had rheumatic fever as a child and it had left her heart weakened.  She caught some virus and it became a walking pneumonia type thing.  She collapsed on Sunday August 7, 1966.  My Dad called our MD and he showed up and tried to revive her.  An ambulance arrived and they took her away.  The whole scene was surreal.  Later that evening my Dad and I just stared at each other.  Such loss!  The ambulance guy came back and demanded his money.  I will never forget the look in my Dad's face.  It scared me more than anything else.

3 comments:

  1. I posted to this the other day, but it didn't work. I'm curious to see if this posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, what I wanted to ask the other day was, did you know she was gone when the ambulance came, or did it take hours before you got the news? I can't imagine such an awful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was told to wait outside. I knew it was bad from the look on my Dad's face. An ambulance pulled up in my driveway. Our family Doctor was crying. I flipped out and started running around the yard. My Dad ran out and dragged me in the house. She was gone. We didn't even bother to follow the ambulance. It seemed like an out of body experience.

    ReplyDelete