Monday, October 11, 2010

This was scanned from a laminated picture my Dad kept in his wallet till the day he died (April 10, 1971).  It is me at age 1.  I don't know why he kept this particular photo.  There are no photos that survived of my Dad's parents.  Patrick J. Murray, and Helen Hannigan.  Helen died in a fire around 1928.  She was burned to death in front of Patrick after an oil heater accident.  My Dad led his sisters out the window on a ledge to safety.  He heard the screams of Helen and it haunted him all of his days.  Patrick tried to smother the flames on Helen but it was too late.  It ruined Patrick's life.  A once proud streetcar conductor in Chicago, Patrick died trying to visit my Dad at St. Mary's orphanage in the early 30's.  He had become an alcoholic wreck.  He was run over by a car.  The Murray Family photos did not survive the blaze.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! I love this picture so much.

    How could he not keep it in his wallet?

    --- This is kyle, forgot to signout of Kelli's thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and my Dad are so much alike! Seriously, you remind me of him more and more. You even look like him around the eyes! It's spooky-cool!

    ReplyDelete